The answer to this question should be "nothing" but all too often it seems to be everything. It all started in the presidential elections. President Obama kept bringing it up, stating that he "didn't look like the guy on the dollar bill". I never saw John McCain talking about it only him. Even Bill Clinton pointed out that "he played the race card" on them. No one seems to care if minorities make racist comments about white males. The most recent case is with Judge Sonia Sotomayor. She made the following statement at Berkeley yet everyone keeps defending her that she isn't:
Whether born from experience or inherent physiological or cultural differences, a possibility I abhor less or discount less than my colleague Judge Cedarbaum, our gender and national origins may and will make a difference in our judging. Justice O'Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases. I am not so sure Justice O'Connor is the author of that line since Professor Resnik attributes that line to Supreme Court Justice Coyle. I am also not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, as Professor Martha Minnow has noted, there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life. (Sonia Sotomayor, http://www.law.berkeley.edu/4982.htm))
What about that statement is not racist? She finds herself more qualified than a white male solely based on race and gender. I don't think it is okay for a white male to make the statement about his race and gender so what makes it okay to say about a minority? There shouldn't be! There is no such thing as "reverse racism" just racism. If she is so qualified to be a justice on the Supreme Court then why can't she get past race and show judgement and principles as qualifications? Oh, that's right the Supreme Court has actually overturned her opinions 5 out of 6 times so there goes the qualifications. Racism still exists in this country even with a black president. I am just starting to believe that it is becoming the white male who is becoming the victim of it. If race shouldn't disqualify you for something then why should it qualify you for another?
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
What's wrong with being a white male?
at 11:22 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 What's your opinion:
Post a Comment